week 2 - Digital Bodies
Representation and design of the human body to be used as canvas for a product creation.
Use software to obtain a body-figure and a digital fabrication process to produce it (the production happens in groups of 3-4)
Scanning the body
Using a 3D scanner installed in a tablet, I had my torso scanned with the help of Laura Newton, my Fabricademy colleague which had already experience with it. I was previously informed that the scanning was precise with details so I prepared myself by wearing a very tight sleeveless top. While I held my arms up, Laura scanned it moving very slowly around my body. The software sent the scanned 3d model file to my email in the format .obj. The result of the scanning seems perfect but when opening in Fusion360 it had several holes to be fixed.
Fixing the model in Meshmixer
I fixed the model by using the software Meshmixer. First I closed the open gaps and then smothed the details by selecting small areas, smothing little by little. Then I cut and removed the excess on the bottom and arms and closed the gaps again.
Slicing the model
Using Slicer, an addin for Fusion360, I sliced the model to 2D shapes that will be cutted in cardboard.
First I adjusted size of the model (1:1 scale), the working area and thickness of the material. Then I chose the slicing option, number of slices and slices direction that suited me better. I wanted the shape contour to be as clear as possible, which was quite difficult, for the slicing would always have errors shown in the right box. After slicing, I exported the shapes in EPS and rearranged the shapes in the board in order to save material, which took me a long time.
When I proceeded to cutting I realized that the cardboard I measured didn't fit the laser cutting machine. For this reason I had to rearrange all parts again in the correct board size in illustrator and cut the cardboards. The total amount of boards necessary was 12.
fig 2.5 - Chosen slicing option and direction.
fig 2.1 - Image of the scanned body.
fig 2.2 - Gaps in the 3D modell.
fig 2.3 - Smoothed and trimmed 3D model in Meshmixer.
fig 2.4 - Adjusting settings in Slicer.
fig 2.6 - Flattened parts.
Laser cutting the parts
After trimming all boards to the size of 1000x700 mm, I proceeded to cut all the pieces in the laser cutting maching using the following settings for cutting and engraving which were separated by different layer color:
Cutting: Spd=50; Pwr=50; Freq=50
Engraving(references): Spd=50; Pwr=20; Freq=20
Before start cutting, I ajusted the focus and the starting point in the machine.
When I started to assemble the pieces after cutting all of them, I realized that the scale was wrong and the body part was monstruosly big. Furthermore, after fixing some pieces, the space designated for the other pieces got smaller and it became impossible to fit the remaining parts.The error was that the value of height of the model was actually the width, which augmented the model proportionaly. Then, I sliced it again, taking care of incresing the thickness of the carboard from 3 mm to 3.7 mm. I also moved some parts to shape better the breast, leaving more space inbetween the parts in the area of the belly.
The error was that, in Slicer, the value of height of the model was actually the width, which augmented the model proportionaly.
fig 2.7 - Printing settings in Rhino.
fig 2.8 - Giant model.
fig 2.9 - Problem with the material thickness.
fig 2.10 - Corrected sliced model.
I fixed the size of the model in Slicer and I sliced it again, taking care of incresing the thickness of the carboard from 3 mm to 3.7 mm. I also moved some parts to shape better the breast, leaving more space inbetween the parts in the area of the belly.
I exported the pieces and rearranged them in the board using Illustrator to optimize material. I reduced from 4 boards to 2 and a half. Then, I proceeded to cut the pieces in the laser cutter again, using the same settings as before.
After cutting all pieces, some did not detach from the board because the board was slightly curved so I have to be careful to remove them with a paper cutter without damaging the pieces.
To assemble the model, I skipped the following piece when I noticed that the space to fit the pieces was getting reduced. With some effort I managed to fit almost all parts of the model.